Tuesday, January 5, 2010

January 4th

Back at work today, so I've got to adapt my diet and exercise schedule accordingly. I leave the house at 6.30 every morning, and don't get back in until 6 in the evening, so finding time for 2 hours exercise every day is going to be a challenge. I managed it today, just going straight into the gym as soon as I walk through the door, that way I'm done by 8 and can have a bit of an evening.

I got this comment from Ian, CEO of Vanda, the organisers/promoters of the event, with some pointers on diet and exercise. It was interesting to get a sneak preview of the painful sounding training I've signed up for! I tried the floor circuits he mentioned, and I'll take the diet tips on board from tomorrow.

Diet
Breakfast: Big bowl of multigrain cereal
Mid morning (10:30): Apple
Lunch: Chickpea and lentil curry (Homemade, no fat)
Mid afternoon (4.30): Apple and oat bar
After workout: Chocolate milk
Dinner: Steak and salad

Ian suggested eating quite a bit more than this, so I'll start taking more food to work. If necessary I'll buy some 'meal replacement' sachets and drinks, but I think I'd rather get my nutrition from regular balanced meals. Might not be workable in reality though.

Exercise
Warmup: 1 km row + stretches
Circuits: 10x pressups, 10x situps, 10x burpees, 10x starjumps. repeat 3 times = 1 set. Did 2 sets with a minute rest in between. This. Is. KNACKERING. Seriously, damn burpees...
Planks: Usual 50 seconds front, left and right, x3 sets. Especially hard after circuits, but I think I might up this to 60 seconds later this week.
1 kg punches: 2 minutes x 3 sets
Interval rowing: Usual 2 minutes/1 minute x10 sets. 2:13/500 m average. Ian suggested that I'd be better off doing sprints, so this part of the workout might change soon.

Really happy with the workout, I upped the intensity by adding the circuits without really taking anything out. I felt pretty energised during the workout, but I'll try to eat more tomorrow afternoon to make sure I'm getting the fuel I need.

96 days to go...

No comments:

Post a Comment