Monday, January 11, 2010

January 11th

First day of training at the boxing gym, I was nervous before I went, but the other boxers were really friendly, the trainers started us off slow, and I really enjoyed myself.

There were some guys in the group who were in great shape, some, like me, less so. I'd say that within the group I'm a little below average. Skill wise, some of the guys had boxed before, but we were all basically the same; that is to say, clueless. There's no reason to think I'll learn any faster or slower than anyone else, so in the end it'll come down to fitness. I need to work extremely hard on my conditioning.

Diet
Breakfast: 1/2 cup oatmeal with honey and various nuts (I bought this 'cereal topping' stuff, which is flaxseed, almonds, sesame seeds, etc. All good stuff)
Mid morning: Tuna mayo, rice cake, apple
Lunch: Homemade chilli with cous-cous (Kirsty made this chilli with minced rump steak. She trimmed all the fat off so its very lean. Bulked it out with beans and peppers. Delicious)
Mid afternoon: Tuna mayo, rice cake, apple
Pre-workout: Smoothie
Dinner: Chocolate milk, chicken breast on tortilla.

Got a good routine now that keeps me full all day, I felt good all through the workout as well, so I'm getting all the nutrients I need.

Exercise
Warmup: Jogging on the spot, 8 minutes
Circuits: 10 pressups/10 squat thrusts/10 crunches/10 burpees. x2 sets. Rest one minute. Repeat 3 times.
Punching drills: We did these for a long time, in 2 minute sets. Focus on movement with some jabs and rights.
Planks: Front only, 30 seconds x3 (The only easy bit!)
Warmdown: Leg lifts, high kicks etc.

Tough, really a lot tougher than it sounds. I think it was the really short breaks between sets. Barely enough time to towel off a bit and grab a mouthful of water. I'll start working like that on my own time as well. Also considering joining the boxing gym as a full member to get some extra training.

Next session is Wednesday.

89 days to go...

No comments:

Post a Comment