Monday, January 25, 2010

January 25th

Good day! My back hurt very slightly less, supporting my theory that its not an injury, just a ache from overdoing it on the exercises. My ankles felt far better as well, maybe that was just a light sprain that needed some time.

Diet
Breakfast: Small bowl of oats, seeds and honey (Was still stuffed from the fishcakes I think)
Mid morning: Tuna, rice-cake and apple
Lunch: Chilli, rice and steamed veg
Mid afternoon: Remaining 4 fishcakes, tuna, rice-cake and apple
Post-workout: 2 flavoured milk cartons
Dinner: Honey mustard chicken salad (Kirsty creation, healthy and very tasty)

Good day for the food, except I had too much last night so I sort of lagged everything. No big deal.

Exercise
Warmup: Jogging on the spot/jumping jacks, shuffles, 8 minutes or so.
Circuit 1: Shadowing and movement drill. 4 rounds of minutes, 1 minute rest between rounds.
Circuit 2: 10 second punchouts. Heavy bag work, 3 sets of 2 minutes, 1 minute rest between rounds.
Circuit 3: Skipping. Bloody skipping. Not as terrible as I thought though. I think the ankle supports helped.
Circuit 4: Jab/block drills. I'm still not very good at this, I move my right hand down too much when I block. One of the trainers tried to correct my technique, but I'm still a bit crap.
Circuit 5: Pressups/squat thrusts/crunches/burpees. 2 lots of 10 each. 3 sets of that, 1 minute rest between rounds.
Circuit 6: Planks. 60 seconds, 75 seconds, 90 seconds. Short breaks between rounds.
Stretches.

Good solid workout. I'm getting fitter, my only real problem is the muscles in my thighs, which apparently suck at burpee-ing. Getting better every week though.

An important change I made today was shoes. I'd been using these super-lightweight running shoes, but I realised last week that they're not at all that good for boxing. My reasoning is that when you're bouncing around on your toes, changing direction constantly, you need an shoe designed for that, not a jogging shoe designed for repetitive movement straight forward. With that in mind, I'd highly recommend a tennis, badminton or squash shoe. I dug out my old badminton trainers, and they're a big improvement.

So, my body is on the mend, I'm getting fitter, and the instructors seem to be happy with my progress.

75 days to go...

No comments:

Post a Comment