Sunday, March 28, 2010

March 27th

PT session with Alexis rather than training, got some sparring in which was good.

Diet
Breakfast: Oatmeal, nuts and honey
Post-workout: Chocolate milk
Lunch: Minestrone breadbowl
Dinner: Chilli and rice

Not bad for a weekend really

Exercise
Warmup: Shadowing, 3-4 x2 minutes
Attack/Defend Drill: 4 x2 minutes, worked with a guy called Mike, nice guy, good boxer
Hook drill: 4 x2 minutes, again, working with Mike practicing left and right hooks to the head, and ducking to avoid hooks
Sparring: 4 x2 minutes with Mike, light sparring.

Good session. Mike controlled his punches really well, so I didn't get hurt, but he landed a lot of good shots. His style was very agressive, and he was excellent coming forward. Great practice for me, and I got some good tips from Alexis on what to do to counter that.

The tactic I should use is to put up a tight guard and move away quickly. I'd then look for an opening, and throw a really quick right when my opponent is drawing his hands back from a punch. Ideally, I should catch all his shots on my gloves, and the counterpunch, if it lands, will be very powerful against the guy's forward momentum. That's the theory anyway, and in the sparring session I managed to pull it off a few times, but sometimes I was put off balance by Mike's quick attack, and my counterpunch was either inaccurate or had no power.

The other lesson of the day was my own attack. As well as practicing the hook, I also need to work on moving forward with my jabs. If I do it right I can take a small forward step when I punch, which gives me more power in the attack, and also puts my weight on my left toes, allowing me to either carry on the attack or spring backwards quickly.

Anyway, next sparring session should be Monday, and I can work on these things more.

15 days to go...

No comments:

Post a Comment