Tuesday, December 22, 2009

It Begins

Decided that training starts today. Proper boxing sessions at the Vanda gym begin January 11th, but starting too early is guaranteed to be less painful than starting too late...and getting punched in my unprepared face.

Firstly, I need a baseline:

Current Height 6'0" (183cm)
Current Weight 180 pounds (82kg)
Current Trousers: 36" (Medium-Husky)

NB. I'm not expecting height to change too much, and these jeans are quite baggy.

Resting heart rate is 76 bpm, which according to Netfit is 'Below Average'. I just tried some simple exercises, and right now I can do 20 pressups and 40 situps. That doesn't seem like a lot, in fact I'm fairly sure its complete crap.

This shouldn't come as a surprise. The only sport I play is golf, which isn't noted for producing high calibre athletes.



My other hobbies are cooking, eating, drinking, and playing video games. This lifestyle has given me this body: (I'm also blaming golf for the shorts and terrible tan.)

 


This is obviously not the body of a boxer. Things must change quickly if I'm to stand any chance of avoiding a public ass-whooping.

Diet 

In January the trainers will be giving me proper nutritional advice. In the meantime though, I could certainly cut back on the beers and eat more healthily.
 

Most importantly though I need get out of the habit of eating a big meal at 7pm. The gym sessions and the final fight will take place in the early evening, so its logical to make sure I've got energy around then. The plan is a smallish snack at 5pm, train 7-9, then eat a protein heavy meal when I get home around 10.

Today's menu: Cornflakes for breakfast, rice and daal for lunch, a couple of apples at 5 and then tuna with low-fat mayo tonight. Its worked okay; I haven't felt hungry, and I was able to exercise without getting cramp or feeling low on energy.

Exercise
Again, come January the trainers will be handling all the training (duh). Until then I'll keep it simple, mainly cardio and a few basic floor exercises.
Today I did rowing interval training. 2 minutes on, 1 minute rest, 10 reps. Then pressups, situps and 20 minutes swimming to cool down. All in it took just over an hour.I'll ache tomorrow, and depending on how much it hurts I'll adjust what I'm doing. 

Christmas and New Year
..are both a worry. The reason they start the training in January is so that the fighters can enjoy the holiday season before they swear off the booze and get serious. I don't think I can afford to wait, so the current plan is to train at least an hour every day regardless of festivities. We'll see how THAT goes.


109 days to go...

No comments:

Post a Comment